From: "Steve [Gentoo]" <gentoo_steve@×××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Gentoo and Emacs in a terminal and "intellisense"-like functionality.
Date: Sat, 26 May 2007 07:06:26
1 I've a few vaguely related questions. I'm an Emacs user from a decade
2 ago - and have recently returned to using it... I'm trying to set it up
3 as a useful modern development environment. I'd have chosen Eclipse, or
4 something like that, if it wasn't for a constraint that I need it to
5 work remotely (in a terminal) without resorting to X; VNC etc.
6
7 There are two things I'd like to do, but on which I'm not getting very
8 far very fast... I'd be interested to know if other Gentoo users have
9 any hints or tips.
10
11 I'd really like to have "Intellisense"-like behaviour - i.e. I've
12 entered an object name when editing C++ - and I want to see a list of
13 methods/attributes for that object... then, having chosen one, I want to
14 see the arguments and types it requires. I'm aware of [CE]tags - though
15 understand this facility to be somewhat more basic. I've read a little
16 about Semantic, and I've installed app-emacs/semantic from portage...
17 but can't see how to encourage it to do what I want. Any hints?
18
19 The other thing I'd like to do is allow cursor positioning by clicking
20 with a mouse. I realise that this isn't traditionally considered
21 possible... but I'd like a facility in my terminal window a bit like gpm
22 on the linux console. Is this viable today?
26 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list