From: Paul Hartman <paul.hartman+gentoo@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] [OT]: "Reset" of USB when switching to console and back to X?
Date: Wed, 17 Aug 2011 21:39:38
1 On Wed, Aug 17, 2011 at 2:17 PM, <meino.cramer@×××.de> wrote:
2 > Paul Hartman <paul.hartman+gentoo@×××××.com> [11-08-17 21:08]:
3 >> On Wed, Aug 17, 2011 at 1:42 PM,  <meino.cramer@×××.de> wrote:
4 >> > Paul Hartman <paul.hartman+gentoo@×××××.com> [11-08-17 18:02]:
5 >> >> On Tue, Aug 16, 2011 at 10:01 PM,  <meino.cramer@×××.de> wrote:
6 >> >> > Hi,
7 >> >> >
8 >> >> > I have attached an old keyboard (PS/2-connector) via an
9 >> >> > USB-PS/2-adaptor to my PC.
10 >> >> >
11 >> >> > When typing too fast (...) the three LEDs of the keyboard flashes
12 >> >> > and everything typed then is typed as if the CTRL-Key constantly
13 >> >> > locked (I am using the X-window-system with openbox as windowmanager.
14 >> >> > There is no session management.)
15 >> >> >
16 >> >> > It is possible to revert back to normal when I switch
17 >> >> > from X-windows to the Linux console (CTRL-ALT-F1) and back
18 >> >> > to X (CTRL-ALT-F7).
19 >> >> >
20 >> >> > My question is:
21 >> >> > What part (PC? Adapator? Keyboard?) gets out of sync here is
22 >> >> > "resetted" (somehow), while switching between console and
23 >> >> > X-windows?
24 >> >> >
25 >> >> > How can I reset the behaviour without switching? How can I
26 >> >> > prevent the behaviour completly?
27 >> >>
28 >> >> FWIW I have experienced that same behavior with several PS/2 to USB
29 >> >> adapters, in Windows, in Linux, etc. I think it's a common problem
30 >> >> with those adapters in general. I've never used one that didn't "go
31 >> >> crazy" a few times a day.
32 >> >>
33 >> > Hi Paul,
34 >> >
35 >> > after some recursive investigations :) via internet I found some
36 >> > interesting things:
37 >> > 1) Yes, your are completly right: It is the USB-PS2-adapter, which
38 >> > goes crazy.
39 >> > 2) No, you are wrong, the reason is different.
40 >> > ;) :)
41 >> > 3) The answer is 41.999998 (calculated by a P90). ;)
42 >> >
43 >> > The reason for stuck CTRL/SHIFT keys is a missing pull-up
44 >> > resistor from the clock and the data line to the +5V line
45 >> > of the PS2 connection. Or in other words: Adding these resistors
46 >> > seem to fix the problem in most cases.
47 >> > See the link below (which describes the process for a IBM Model M keyboard. Seems true
48 >> > for other old PS2 keyboards as mine, too):
49 >> > http://ps-2.kev009.com:8081/ohlandl/keyboard/modify_keyboard/Model_M_Modifications.html
50 >> >
51 >> > The PS2 goes crazy because the high level gets too low without the
52 >> > additonal pull up resistors. But the "origin of the reason" is not
53 >> > the adapter, but the low high levels of the old PS2 line as such.
54 >> >
55 >> > I did find these information that late (after posting to this list)
56 >> > by searching for informations about certain different usb-PS/2-adapter.
57 >> > Sorry, when answering the other half of my own question.... :)
58 >>
59 >> Very interesting info, it's good to know the real reason why it always
60 >> seems like a "universal" problem with those adapters.
61 >>
62 >> In the end, to solve my own problem, I bought two Unicomp keyboards
63 >> which are the same as the old heavy IBM keyboards but with USB
64 >> built-in. ;)
67 > (my question is based only on curiosity...)
68 >
69 > Are the Unicomp Model Ms of the same quality and tactile/audible
70 > feeling as the original IBM model Ms?
71
72 Yes, in fact it's exactly the same. Unicomp was formed by former
73 IBM/Lexmark employees who bought the original Model M manufacturing
74 equipment and rights to the original designs and parts from IBM. So
75 it's very much the same as Model M but available with updated with
76 modern features like USB and windows keys (if desired) and different
77 colors. They are still manufactured in the US at Unicomp's offices and
78 not outsourced to China or anywhere like that.
79
80 USD $80 seems like a lot of money for a keyboard to some people I talk
81 to, who are used to getting the crap $5 rubber keyboard from the
82 computer store. :) but if you spend every day typing, like I do, it's
83 really a small amount to pay.
84
85 I've been using mine for a few years now and am extremely happy with
86 them. I have the original huge one (the "Customizer") and the smaller
87 one with a trackpoint mouse in the middle (it's smaller but still
88 heavy and clicky, using the same spring mechanism as the big guy).