From: Volker Armin Hemmann <volker.armin.hemmann@××××××××××××.de>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] [extremly, wildly, obscenely OT] Is there a Linux system without GNU userlands?
Date: Mon, 11 Aug 2008 00:45:26
1 On Montag, 11. August 2008, b.n. wrote:
2 > Volker Armin Hemmann ha scritto:
3 > > On Sonntag, 10. August 2008, b.n. wrote:
4 > >> Hi,
5 > >>
6 > >> I ask it here because I really don't know where to ask it.
7 > >>
8 > >> Is there a Linux system somewhere with a *non-GNU* userland?
9 > >
10 > > linux + uclibc + busybox?
11 > >
12 > > yes. And maybe you even get X or KDE run on it - google and tell us your
13 > > results ;)
14 > >
15 > > http://www.linuxfromscratch.org/hints/downloads/files/uclibc.txt
16 >
17 > Wow! To bring back the thread on a Gentoo topic, I found neat howtos on
18 > the wiki:
19 > http://gentoo-wiki.com/TinyGentoo
20 > http://gentoo-wiki.com/Embedded_Gentoo
21 >
22 > I guess I'll try when I'll have some really spare time...
23 >
24 > Thanks for the cool link. The "next step", I guess, is things that
25 > differ conceptually from the familiar Linux we're accustomed to. That
26 > is, if you follow newslogs like OSNews, you'll see a lot of hobbysts and
27 > engineers like to create new kernels. There is less interest in doing
28 > conceptually novel userlands (novel shells etc.) or it is just my
29 > impression? Maybe a more boring task?
32 there are many shells. sh, bash, bsh. korn, csh, zsh, dash, tcsh, .... why
33 make a new one, if you can do incredible stuff with zsh? A shell is not so
34 easy to create.
35
36 A new kernel is not so hard to do. The problem are the drivers - and all the
37 quirks. It is one thing to write a little task scheduler for your little pet
38 project, but if it crashs constantly it becomes a bitch to fight through all
39 the errata. But at the beginning a simple kernel is much easier to do than
40 stuff that runs on it (simple is the important work. A non-simple kernel is
41 very hard).
42 Another thing are libcs. A libc is a bitch. Luckily there is a whole bunch to
43 choose from. glibc, bsd's libc, uclibc, dietlibc, ... so why re-invent the
44 wheel?
45
46 Or look at X. X is horrible. A convoluted mess of grown cruft and standards
47 to hold the pile together. But where is the replacement? Fiasco/Berlin?
48 failed. Y-window? failed. Because X works good enough. And if you aren't
49 writing toolkits or apps using xlib directly, you don't need to care about
50 most of the stuff.
51
52 So hobbyist concentrate on the easy stuff - and a userland is not easy.
53
54 Userland is not boring - it is very hard. And the best userland doesn't help
55 you if no 3rd party software runs on it.