From: Mick <michaelkintzios@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] [OT] Simple to upgrade Linux distro
Date: Wed, 19 Jul 2017 09:49:27
1 On Wednesday 19 Jul 2017 01:46:36 Dale wrote:
2 > Howdy,
3 >
4 > This isn't a Gentoo question but most everyone here used something
5 > before Gentoo. I need a simple to upgrade distro for someone else.
6 >
7 > A friend of mine had windoze XP, which is dead to M$. She needed
8 > something and buying a computer or new OS is not a option, even tho she
9 > needs to upgrade that 10 or 12 year old thing she has. So, I put Mageia
10 > on it a couple years ago, used to be Mandrake way back which is what I
11 > started with. She has been doing updates every week or so since it is
12 > GUI based and pretty easy. Tell it to update or just click the pop-up
13 > when it tells you one is available and when it is done, reboot. Yea,
14 > windowish I know. lol
15
16 Most 'user friendly' distros these days use some kind of software/OS updater,
17 like Synaptics. Even MSWindows users can point and click with these and not
18 hose their systems.
21 > Anyway, she did a update and now she can't login
22 > to KDE. I drove up, hour away, and tried to figure it out. It has
23 > changed so much, I'm pretty clueless. It is NOT Gentoo by any means. I
24 > renamed the user directory in case it was a config that the new update
25 > was hanging on but nothing. It just won't let you login. Also reset
26 > the password as well.
27
28 Did you look at the logs? Assuming this is a systemd OS try:
29
30 journalctl
31
32 to view the log. Add -b to only see boot messages, -f to follow current
33 activity (just like 'tail -f' command), and -n 15 to see the last 15 entries.
36 > Thing is, I installed ICEwm during the install
37 > and it works. It logs in but the screen doesn't refresh like it
38 > should. You close a app, it's closed but it doesn't refresh the screen
39 > so it looks like it is still there. The whole thing is weird.
40
41 This sounds like a video driver/compositor problem. My guess is some
42 xorg/mesa driver was updated and the box is not able to process the latest
43 code. However, to make sure no hardware problem is present, I suggest you
44 take a look inside and blow away any cobwebs from video card cooling fan and
45 heatsink. Removing and reseating the video card may also clean the contacts
46 from any oxidization, which an old box may have.
47
48 Finally, if there is an Xorg.0.log on this box take a look at it to confirm if
49 this is a video driver problem. With systemd you would probably need to run:
50
51 journalctl -e /usr/bin/Xorg
52
53 (someone more knowledgeable with systemd could chime in here if I got this
54 wrong)
57 > What I'm looking for. Something that I can install fairly quickly from
58 > a DVD. Rig is to old to boot from USB stick. Something with a GUI
59 > update process that is fairly easy. Uses either KDE by default or is
60 > easily installable, hopefully during install by default. The big one,
61 > needs to be able to run on older hardware. Her rig is something like a
62 > 2GHz single core CPU and around 2GBs of ram. The drives are SATA but
63 > that's about the most advanced hardware it has. The video is a built in
64 > Intel of some sort. Nothing fast or even fancy for that matter. Yes,
65 > I'm keeping a eye out for a newer rig but it is what it is right now.
66
67 Anything with KDE will be putting a load on older hardware. I don't know what
68 Mageia has changed in their distro to cause these problems, but if
69 cleaning/reseating video cards, RAM modules, etc. does not fix the problems
70 you observed, then it's time to blame the software.
71
72 Have a look at Mint with a KDE desktop:
73
74 http://blog.linuxmint.com/?p=3292
75
76 Or Kubuntu:
77
78 http://www.kubuntu.org/
79
80 However, I would expect both of the above to require 256MB video card memory
81 and capability for hardware video acceleration. Really old video cards won't
82 be able to provide this. Also 2G RAM is the absolute minimum for running
83 Plasma or Gnome.
84
85 If she can live without KDE, then I would recommend Lubuntu/Xubuntu:
86
87 http://lubuntu.net/
88 https://xubuntu.org/
89
90 These can probably run with as little as 512MB RAM.
93 > I've used Gentoo for so long, I don't know what other distros offer
94 > nowadays. I figure that there are several distros that are graphical
95 > nowadays but also need good support for older hardware and easy update
96 > process. Googling around isn't helping me much. If I find something I
97 > like, no KDE. If I find KDE based and a GUI updater, something else
98 > won't work. I figure asking those who have personal experience would be
99 > best. :-)
100 >
101 > Thoughts? Suggestions??
102 >
103 > Thanks.
104 >
105 > Dale
106 >
108
109 I suggest she revisits the need to run Plasma, if her current hardware has
110 reached the end of its useful life. There's a bigger world out there and
111 there will be replacements for many of the desktop features she currently
112 thinks are irreplaceable.
115 Regards,
116 Mick