From: James <wireless@×××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: CD ripper that generates song titles?
Date: Fri, 28 Aug 2015 01:03:33
1 Alan Grimes <ALONZOTG <at> verizon.net> writes:
2
3 >> Vinyl LPs are making a comeback in the UK too among audiophiles. Those
4 >> who can afford it use valve amps too.
5
6 Vinyl does give an uniquely analog reproduction that is different than
7 digital gear, if you listen closely, the inherent noise is actually quite
8 pleasant, like the beach waves in the distance; soothing.
11 > Yeah, the most popular type is the Single Ended Triode (SET). The most
12 > popular toobz are the 2A3 (good for about 5W output) and the 300B (good
13 > for about 8W output).
16 Class A amplifiers are mostly limited to around 10 W of power. However, if
17 you are learning to accurately sing, like real opera folks or serious Jazz
18 folks, the combination of Vinyl and Class A (tube) amplifiers is unmatched
19 for accuracy, feel and those subtle effects of instruments and voices,
20 regardless of the number of channels. Those really do help to 'train the
21 ear' for accuracy and voice/scale/note training. If you have never have
22 experienced that sweet combo of Class A amps and Vinyl, do not be so quick
23 to refer to it as snobs, as there is a real difference, once you quite your
24 mind and surroundings. A studio room complete with proper acoustics really
25 magnifies the differences too.
28 That said my 10 Watt class A sits on a lonely shelf and my 4000 W system
29 only has the dust_mites blown off once or twice a year. So I use a (8 x 130)
30 watt Yamaha receiver and digital media inputs, mostly, due to the
31 conveniences therein. Most amps perform best (most linear response) at no
32 more than 20% of max output, just so you know.
33
34 hth,
35 James