From: Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] bash: no job control in this shell
Date: Wed, 10 Sep 2008 07:49:12
1 On Wednesday 10 September 2008 07:43:33 Michele Schiavo wrote:
2 > When i login from console i have this error :
3 >
4 > -bash: no job control in this shell
5 >
6 > I don't know since i have this because i do not usually console login.
7
8 I would have thought google would return thousands of hits for a message like
9 that. But it didn't, so you have a funny one :-)
10
11 This error seems to relate to not having access to the tty device. Here's a
12 good place to start:
13
14 http://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-t-152855.html?sid=657f0bbf1fe140faf141b965bbf161ad
15
16 Also check obvious things like UNIX98_PTY is enabled in your kernel, and your
17 user does have permissions on the console devices /dev/{p,t}ty*
18
19 Normally, it user root, group tty and the user is in the tty group
24 > this is my .bashrc
25 >
26 > # /etc/skel/.bashrc:
27 > # $Header: /home/cvsroot/gentoo-src/rc-scripts/etc/skel/.bashrc,v 1.8
28 > 2003/02/28 15:45:35 azarah Exp $
29 >
30 > # This file is sourced by all *interactive* bash shells on startup.
31 > This
32 > # file *should generate no output* or it will break the scp and rcp
33 > commands.
34 >
35 > # colors for ls, etc.
36 > eval `dircolors -b /etc/DIR_COLORS`
37 >
38 > alias ls="ls --color=auto"
39 > alias ll="ls --color -l"
40 > alias rm="rm -iv"
41 > alias mv="mv -iv"
42 > alias cp="cp -iv"
43 > alias grep="grep --color"
44 >
45 > export HISTCONTROL=ignorespace
46 > export HISTIGNORE="ignoredups:&:ls:[bf]g:exit"
47 >
48 > # Change the window title of X terminals
49 > case $TERM in
50 > xterm*|rxvt|Eterm|eterm)
51 > PROMPT_COMMAND='echo -ne "\033]0;${USER}@${HOSTNAME%%.*}:
52 > ${PWD/$HOME/~}\007"'
53 > ;;
54 > screen)
55 > PROMPT_COMMAND='echo -ne "\033_${USER}@${HOSTNAME%%.*}:
56 > ${PWD/$HOME/~}\033\\"'
57 > ;;
58 > esac
59 >
60 > [ -f /etc/profile.d/bash-completion ] &&
61 > source /etc/profile.d/bash-completion
62 >
63 > export MAILHOST="gmail.com"
64 > export MAILUSER="micheleschi"
69 alan dot mckinnon at gmail dot com