From: Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] To install a testing version of a package on a stable OS installation.
Date: Sun, 09 Jul 2017 20:10:58
1 On Sun, Jul 9, 2017 at 3:59 PM, Ста Деюс <sthu.deus@×××××××××××.org> wrote:
2 >
3 > Is it possible to compile/install a testing version of a package w/ its
4 > dependencies on a stable OS installation? -- I mean, if a have stable
5 > installation of whole the system, can i compile and install a testing
6 > version of single package and the packages this single package depends
7 > on?
10 Yes, for the most part. Obviously if whatever you want to install has
11 a rats nest of unstable dependencies it can get messy. It isn't like
12 you're going to be able to install one component of kde-6 on an
13 otherwise kde-5 system, for example (when that comes along), and
14 expect it to work.
15
16 Typically you just stick whatever you're interested in
17 /etc/portage/package.keywords. Then when you try to emerge it portage
18 will indicate if any dependencies aren't fulfilled and offer to
19 auto-unmask them for you.
20
21 I find it to be a best practice to make /etc/portage/package.keywords
22 a directory, and create files inside for various purposes. I have a
23 file to put keywords in there for arch testing purposes. I have a
24 file called zautounmask, which is where portage will dump auto-unmask
25 settings (since it is last alphabetically). Over time when you have a
26 million entries in these files having them separated will tend to make
27 it a lot easier to clean them up. I can delete my auto-unmasked
28 entries at any time and portage will just re-create the entries it
29 actually needs the next time I do an update.
30
31 Note that in general Gentoo doesn't do QA around mixed keywords.
32 Typically it works fine, but you will run into exceptions. You'll be
33 less likely to run into issues if you avoid running mixed keywords on
34 things like core dependencies. You won't have trouble in general
35 finding people to help, but ultimately nobody is going to officially
36 bend over backwards to make it work. If you can identify what is
37 causing a problem there is a decent chance it will get fixed (assuming
38 upstream is cooperative - if some package doesn't work with a newer
39 dependency upstream might just say they can't be bothered to fix it
40 and it might not be easy to patch on our end).
43 Rich