From: "b.n." <brullonulla@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Xorg 7.0+composite+radeon OSS drivers+radeon9200se : X cpu usage sometimes rockets to > 80%
Date: Tue, 10 Oct 2006 08:07:10
1 Alan McKinnon ha scritto:
2 > On Tuesday 10 October 2006 01:11, b.n. wrote:
3 >> I should be using a fully hw-accelerated Xorg, however. I have an ATI
4 >> Radeon 9200se card with the following options:
5 >
6 > I have the same card, but I don't have the problems you are having
7 >> [...]
8 >> Section "Device"
9 >>
10 >> #VideoRam 131072
11 >> # Insert Clocks lines here if appropriate
12 >> Identifier "** ATI Radeon (generic) [radeon]"
13 >> Driver "radeon"
14 >
15 > That's the open source driver, you get 2D acceleration, but not 3D.
16 > For 3D you need to emerge ati-drivers and use the fglrx driver
19 Does Composite require full 3D acceleration? I don't think so.
20 The "radeon" OSS drivers allow for basic 3D (yes, quite suboptimal, but
21 enough for my purposes)
22
23 The wiki says that for the ATI 9200 the "radeon" driver should allow a
24 good composite experience:
25 "You can get hardware accelled Render (EXA) for 9200 and below, using
26 X.org 7.0 driver 'radeon', thus making Composite ridiculously fast and
27 even overcome NVidia cards, since they don't support EXA yet."
28
29 In fact, once tweaking xorg.conf for performance, composite works fast
30 and quite well, apart from the occasional xorg CPU problem of my
31 original mail. It seems more like a bug, however.
32
33 > My experiences were that composite with the radeon driver were ... poor
34
35 I guess it depends from your card. ATI cards below 9200 are much better
36 supported by "radeon" than newer cards. Until I can, I would prefer to
37 stick with the OSS drivers.
38
39 m.
40 --