From: Jim Burwell <jimb@××××.cc>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] vnc.so
Date: Sat, 07 Jan 2006 00:44:18
1 Tom Smith wrote:
2
3 > Hi all,
4 >
5 > I installed "vnc" with the "server" USE flag enabled. I've been
6 > working on getting the vnc.so module loaded for X.org and now have it
7 > working. My question is, is this module a part of RealVNC or some
8 > other program? (I tried to locate a description of the use flags for
9 > VNC but was unable to.)
10 >
11 > Thanks in advance for the help.
14 Yes the vnc.so X module is part of the VNC package. AFAIK its purpose
15 is to implement the shared display # 0 functionality, where you can
16 start a VNC session and interact with the system's local ":0" X
17 display. That is, say that you're logged into the target machine itself
18 and have an X session running on it attached to the system's monitor/vid
19 card/KB/mouse. The vnc.so provides the functionality to attach to THAT
20 session. Note that not all VNC packages support this (notably TightVNC
21 doesn't, but RealVNC seems to, although I havn't tried it. There's also
22 'xf4vnc' and 'x11vnc' which appear to provide the functionality).
23 Perhaps the module is also used in the normal Xvnc session also, but
24 TightVNC doesn't even include the module and it implements Xvnc.
25
26 Normally, vncserver starts up its own X server (Xvnc) which uses a new X
27 display number which is completely independant of any X server which may
28 be running on the target system. Perhaps this is what you're really
29 looking for ? If so, it's very easy. Just run something like
30 'vncserver -depth 24 -geometry 1024x768' and you'll be able to attach a
31 VNC viewer to the virtual X display by connecting the viewer to
32 "<hostname or IP>:1".
33
34 - Jim
37 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list