From: Ian Zimmerman <itz@××××××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: escape from i3lock
Date: Wed, 10 Jul 2019 22:45:16
1 On 2019-07-10 15:23, Alec Ten Harmsel wrote:
2
3 > On Wed, Jul 10, 2019 at 10:03:42AM -0700, Ian Zimmerman wrote:
4 > > Here is my next "low information" question, haha.
5 > >
6 > > I use i3lock which is like Xscreensaver but much much simpler; it plays
7 > > no movies or games, just blanks the screen with a configured color or
8 > > image. To unlock it you have to type your password.
9 > > It bothers me that even when i3lock has locked the X session, I can
10 > > still switch to other Linux virtual consoles with Alt-Control-F<n> ,
11 > > without typing the password. It so happens that on one of the other
12 > > virtual consoles there is often an interactive root shell :-P
13 > >
14 > > So, is it possible to prevent virtual console switching while the X
15 > > screen is locked, but still allow it at other times? Looks like
16 > > something the locker program would have to do, not the X server; but
17 > > again I don't know much about this stuff.
18 >
19 > Which init are you using, what display manager, and how are you
20 > launching it? I'm using systemd and sddm, and when I run `i3lock', I
21 > cannot switch to different virtual consoles.
22 >
23 > Not sure whether any of that stuff matters, but that was the first thing
24 > I thought of.
25
26 It does matter. Sysvinit, xdm via an initscript. Not so long ago, no
27 DM at all, just startx/xinit.
28
29 This is probably a function of consolekit or some of the other awful
30 *kits. Not installing one of those. I'll find a workaround.
33 Please don't Cc: me privately on mailing lists and Usenet,
34 if you also post the followup to the list or newsgroup.
35 To reply privately _only_ on Usenet and on broken lists
36 which rewrite From, fetch the TXT record for no-use.mooo.com.