From: Cliff Wells <cliff@×××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] System Locking Up
Date: Wed, 09 Nov 2005 08:25:46
1 On Tue, 2005-11-08 at 23:11 -0800, Cliff Wells wrote:
2 > On Tue, 2005-11-08 at 22:43 -0500, Shawn Singh wrote:
3 > > Hello all,
4 > >
5 > > Over the course of the past 2 weeks I've come home to a "zombie
6 > > machine" two times. Here are the symptoms:
9 > It does sound like hardware. I'd check three things first:
10 >
11 > 1) Are all the fans in the system working?
12 > 2) Check for swollen or leaking capacitors (see
13 > http://www.trendit.co.za/capacitor.htm). This is *really* common, so
14 > don't discount it until you've checked.
15
16 An added note on this: you can actually repair boards like this (you can
17 replace any capacitor with a capacitor of equal or greater capacity),
18 but I've found that it's not worth it. It can take a couple hours and
19 is pretty hit or miss (I once replaced half the caps on a dead board
20 which got it working, then replaced the other half and it never worked
21 again :P).
22
23 Regards,
24 Cliff