From: Mick <michaelkintzios@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: What the devil?!! [or Plasma teething problems Ia.]
Date: Fri, 28 Jun 2019 16:14:17
1 On Friday, 28 June 2019 16:06:50 BST »Q« wrote:
2 > On Thu, 27 Jun 2019 12:42:56 +0100
3 >
4 > Mick <michaelkintzios@×××××.com> wrote:
5 > > On Thursday, 27 June 2019 10:55:16 BST Mick wrote:
6 > > > The next thing to try:
7 > > >
8 > > > I don't have elogind starting up as a boot level rc service,
9 > > > because it is launched when needed by dbus or pam. Perhaps if
10 > > > elogind is running as a background service sddm will (re)launch
11 > > > differently?
12 > >
13 > > I just tried it and it works. :-)
14 > >
15 > > With elogind running as a boot service, sddm launches with the
16 > > Shutdown/Reboot buttons shown and they work as expected. However, as
17 > > I do not have a /usr/ bin/loginctl, all I can assume is irrespective
18 > > of the HaltCommand path specified in the default sddm config, when
19 > > launched sddm searches all paths and eventually finds /bin/loginctl,
20 > > which it runs when a button is pressed.
21 > >
22 > > As we've established with no -elogind +consolekit the commands
23 > > specified in the default sddm config file are different. Also, with
24 > > consolekit being a default rc service, it is running at the time sddm
25 > > is launched.
26 >
27 > I use openrc, so I have sddm installed with -elogind -systemd
28 > +consolekit +pam. Putting consolekit in the default runlevel does make
29 > the buttons work the first time sddm is launched, on reboot.
30 >
31 > Without the conosolekit service in the default runlevel, the buttons
32 > are greyed out after reboot, but restarting xdm some time after booting,
33 > still without consolekit running, makes the buttons come alive and
34 > work.
35
36 At this stage, when you are restarting xdm, you've logged in the console and
37 (I'm guessing) dbus+polkit+pam are running even if consolekit is not.
38 Consolekit is needed for multiple users, so it is not necessary for this
39 purpose, although if it's already running I understand it helps with the
40 authentication by calling on pam. So, I'm surmising, dbus calls in polkit &
41 pam, since you're logged in, which allows access to /sbin/shutdown.
42
43 # ldd /usr/bin/sddm | grep dbus
44 libdbus-1.so.3 => /usr/lib64/libdbus-1.so.3 (0x00007f5374160000)
47 > So there's something in play other than consolekit for me.
48 >
49 > (I don't actually need to sort this out -- I'm just curious.)
50
51 It may have something to do with dbus/polkit, which authenticates access to
52 the /sbin/shutdown file locally by sddm and this makes the buttons visible/
53 actionable. If you have not logged in yet, after a reboot, then only dbus is
54 running at that stage with no authentication mechanism. I may be *wildly*
55 wrong, but no doubt more knowledgeable members will drop by soon to correct
56 me.
59 Regards,
60
61 Mick