From: Michael Hampicke <gentoo-user@××××.biz>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Apache forked itself to death...
Date: Sun, 16 Sep 2012 18:08:32
2 > * Each Apache process is consuming 80-100MB of RAM.
3 > * Squid is consuming 666MB of RAM
4 > * memcached is consuming 822MB of RAM
5 > * mysqld is consuming 886MB of RAM
6 > * The kernel is using 110MB of RAM for buffers
7 > * The kernel is using 851MB of RAM for file cache (which benefits squid).
8 >
9 > And, not RAM, but potentially of interest for the curious:
10 > * The MySQL db is consuming 3.8GB on disk.
11 > * The Squid cache is about 9.2GB on disk.
14 As Jerry did not specify which content his apache is serving, I used
15 12MB of RAM per apache process (as a general rule of thumb). But if it's
16 dynamic content generated by a scripting language like php it could be a
17 lot more. But I think 80-100MB of RAM with php in the back should be a
18 good guess.
19
20 Important thing is:
21
22 MaxClients x memory footprint per apache process < available memory :-)
23
24 If you have lots of concurrent requests you may be better suited with
25 something lighter.... like lighttpd. Or start caching of some sort, like
26 Michael does.