From: Neil Bothwick <neil@××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: How often do you reboot?
Date: Tue, 31 Jan 2017 09:01:43
1 On Mon, 30 Jan 2017 18:51:07 -0800, Ian Zimmerman wrote:
2
3 > When I first put gentoo on the laptop (last summer) I tried to follow
4 > "The Handbook" verbatim, which meant I got an init thingy.
5
6 Was that using dracut or genkernel? Dracut is, IMO, much better. It also
7 has the advantage of being distro-agnostic so is more widely used and
8 developed.
9
10 > That never worked right - before when I had debian on it, and afterward
11 > with gentoo. I got an oops about 1 in 10 boots, with the stacktrace
12 > looking like it was in the middle of loading a module.
13 >
14 > Finally earlier this month I got sick of it and compiled the essential
15 > drivers in, and disabled the thingy building. (/usr wasn't a problem for
16 > me, since I had it integrated with the root fs from the start.) Problem
17 > solved, not an oops in 3 weeks or so.
18
19 I'd do the same. There's no point in adding an extra layer when you can
20 do it all in the kernel. I'm using an encrypted drive so it is necessary,
21 and dracut just works[tm].
25 Neil Bothwick
26
27 What do you call a Tellytubbie with a finger up its bum? Stinky Pinky!