From: Grant <emailgrant@×××××.com>
To: "gentoo-user@l.g.o" <gentoo-user@l.g.o>
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: {OT} Allow work from home?
Date: Fri, 22 Jan 2016 01:18:38
2 > > I would
3 > > need to be able to rsync to the laptop and I'd rather not be involved
4 > > in the remote employee's router config. Is there an easier solution
5 > > for that than OpenVPN?
6 >
7 > There is ZeroTier as a replacement for OpenVPN, and Syncthing for
8 > syncing. Both are P2P solutions and you can run your own discovery
9 > servers if you don't want any traffic going through a 3rd party (although
10 > they don't send data through the servers).
11 >
12 > I've no idea whether that would meet your security criteria but it
13 > certainly fulfils the "easier than OpenVPN" one. It will take only a few
14 > minutes to install and setup using the public servers, although, as I
15 > said, your network is never public, so you can check whether they do what
16 > you want. Then you can look at hosting your own server for security.
17 >
18 > https://www.zerotier.com/
19 > https://syncthing.net/
23 Zerotier looks especially interesting. Can I have machine A listen for
24 Zerotier connections, have machine B connect to machine A via Zerotier,
25 have machine C connect to machine A via Zerotier, and rsync push from B to
26 C?
27
28 Does connecting two machines via Zerotier involve any security
29 considerations besides those involved when connecting those machines to the
30 internet? In other words, is it a simple network connection or are other
31 privelages involved with that connection?
32
33 Can I somehow require the Zerotier connection between machines A and C in
34 order for C to pass HTTP basic authentication on my web server which
35 resides elsewhere? Maybe I can route all traffic from machine C to my web
36 server through C's Zerotier connection to A and lock down basic
37 authentication on my web server to machine A?
38
39 - Grant