From: Alexander Kapshuk <alexander.kapshuk@×××××.com>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] alternative kernels
Date: Sun, 26 Oct 2014 19:41:02
1 On Sun, Oct 26, 2014 at 9:23 PM, Canek Peláez Valdés <caneko@×××××.com> wrote:
2 > On Sun, Oct 26, 2014 at 1:09 PM, Alexander Kapshuk
3 > <alexander.kapshuk@×××××.com> wrote:
4 >> I've been using gentoo-sources for a while now.
5 >>
6 >> I remember reading on this list about some users using alternative
7 >> kernels on their gentoo systems. My understanding is that amongst some
8 >> of the other alternatives, besides the genkernel, which I'm not
9 >> interested in using, are vanilla-sources available in the portage
10 >> tree, and the sources available on kernel.org.
11 >> I'd appreciate being given some pointers on how the folk here maintain
12 >> their alternative kernels.
13 >
14 > I've been using vanilla-sources since September 2009, in all my
15 > machines. I use systemd, so having the latest kernel version doesn't
16 > hurt; a new vanilla-sources version is usually ready a few hours after
17 > Linus releases a new kernel, and gentoo-sources takes at least a few
18 > weeks, sometimes more.
19 >
20 > As to how do I maintain them, I wrote a little utility that I've been
21 > using from the last year or so:
22 >
23 > https://github.com/canek-pelaez/kerninst
24 >
25 > With it, after I install a new kernel using the normal portage
26 > procedure, I just do:
27 >
28 > eselect kernel set <new-version>
29 > kerninst
30 >
31 > And that's it. Be aware that you need to provide your own kernel configuration.
32 >
33 > Regards.
34 > --
35 > Canek Peláez Valdés
36 > Profesor de asignatura, Facultad de Ciencias
37 > Universidad Nacional Autónoma de México
40 Understood. Thanks for sharing your kernel maintenance experiences.