From: Paul Hartman <paul.hartman+gentoo@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Any big gotcha's when update from several (5) mnths
Date: Wed, 14 Sep 2011 20:01:31
1 On Wed, Sep 14, 2011 at 2:32 PM, Harry Putnam <reader@×××××××.com> wrote:
2 > I caught just a hint of some kind of recent trouble when updating on
3 > this list a few days ago but lost track of the thread or message.
4 >
5 > I'd like to do update world and am some 4-5 mnths out of date right
6 > now.
7 >
8 > Am I likely to hit some horrible snag that has come up recently.
9 >
10 > PS - I'm already past the change from hda to sda
11
12 I updated my laptop (using ~amd64) which went ~9 months or so without
13 being updated, and it was fine... It took a few days of compiling, but
14 it was fine. The usual things apply, be careful when upgrading config
15 files, kernel options, rebuild your x11 drivers after upgrading xorg,
16 rebuild libtool after upgrading gcc, etc. I don't remember any gotchas
17 though.
18
19 I personally like to upgrade gcc first off (and its deps), then run
20 gcc-config to (re)set the new version, re-emerge libtool,
21 fix_libtool_files.sh, then I update the system set, etc-update, reboot
22 to be sure everything is sane, then upgrade world after that.
23 Depending on how ancient the kernel is, upgrading the kernel might
24 fall somewhere in the middle of that process (and updating
25 linux-headers and glibc as appropriate). Usually there are copious
26 amounts of emerge @preserved-rebuild, revdep-rebuild and emerge
27 --depclean along the journey, too. :)