From: Andrey Falko <ma3oxuct@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] AMD vs. Intel on Gentoo?
Date: Sat, 22 Mar 2008 18:29:50
1 On Sat, Mar 22, 2008 at 2:09 PM, Grant <emailgrant@×××××.com> wrote:
2 >
3 > > > > I had become an AMD guy, but I think I'm hearing that Intel is beating
4 > > > > AMD in performance tests. Plus my AMD64 X2 desktop should be much
5 > > > > faster than my Intel laptop but is actually slower. What do you guys
6 > > > > think?
7 > > > >
8 > > > > - Grant
9 > > > >
10 > > > Well the experience of a desktop or an application depends on more than
11 > > > just the processor. Nearly every part of a computer does its part. And
12 > > > then you have the software, what software you use, how it is build, what
13 > > > reqirements this software has on other software and hardware and so on.
14 > > > Does it uses the FPU or is it heavy on the ALU. How much IO is used and
15 > > > how much can the system provide.
16 > > > But if you believe the average hardwaremagazine, intel is a step ahead
17 > > > right now.
18 > > >
19 > > > Norman
20 > >
21 > > When Intel finally implements HyperTransport (I think it's planned for
22 > > the next generation), AMD will loose their last bastion performance
23 > > wise ... what a pity.
24 >
25 > It is a pity. When did AMD's overall advantage disappear?
26 >
27 > - Grant
28 >
29 When Intel came out with its Core Two Duo CPUs, and *really* when
30 Intel came out with Quad Cores before AMD.
31 >
32 > --
33 > gentoo-user@l.g.o mailing list
37 gentoo-user@l.g.o mailing list