From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Blocks migrating from KDE 4.4.3 to 4.5.1
Date: Fri, 03 Sep 2010 18:40:46
1 Alex Schuster wrote:
2 > Dale writes:
5 >> I do only have KDE on here. The bad thing is, I use kdm for my login
6 >> manager. Even that was broken. I had no GUI and no way to login to
7 >> KDE or anything else.
8 >>
9 > Log into a text console, and start KDE with 'XSESSION=KDE-4 startx'.
10 > Replace KDE-4 with anything from /etc/X11/Sessions/ for other window
11 > managers.
15 >> Looking forward to seeing how your upgrade works out.
16 >>
17 > Not so well, rdiff-backup of /usr crashed, not sure why. I'll try again,
18 > or create a new backup from scratch.
19 >
20 > Wonko
24 That may have helped if kdm was the only thing broken. I got part way
25 through the upgrade then had packages that wouldn't build. Portage gave
26 up on skipping packages and just stopped building. I couldn't get past
27 that problem so I had to go back to the older KDE. So, kdm was broke
28 but so was KDE itself. I needed something like Fluxbox that could run
29 all by itself with nothing related to KDE.
30
31 Glad you got backups. ;-)
32
33 Dale