From: "Boyd Stephen Smith Jr." <bss03@××××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: cdrtools incomplete?
Date: Wed, 09 May 2007 00:10:55
1 On Tuesday 08 May 2007, Alexander Skwar <listen@×××××××××××××××.name> wrote
2 about '[gentoo-user] Re: cdrtools incomplete?':
3 > Leonhard Gruener <gentoo@××××××××.de> wrote:
4 > > Am Montag, 7. Mai 2007 schrieb Kevin O'Gorman:
5 > >> On 5/6/07, Philip Webb <purslow@×××××××××.ca> wrote:
6 > >> > 070506 Kevin O'Gorman wrote:
7 > >> > > I'm trying to burn a CD for the first time in a long while.
8 > >> > > It's not going well. I've got cdrtools-2.01.01-alpha10
9 > >> > > installed. The description says it includes cdrecord, but I
10 > >> > > cannot find it.
11 > >
12 > > So install cdrkit.
13 >
14 > The "real" cdrecord
15 > is from cdrtools, though.
16
17 I'm pretty sure the one in cdrkit is real. Either that or I'm only
18 imagining that I burned and used my last rescue CD. *boggle*
19
20 :)
21
22 Just to be clear, cdrkit is a fork off of an older version of cdrtools that
23 was made because Debian doesn't believe cdrtools to be distributable by
24 anyone other than the copyright holder since parts are licensed under the
25 GPL and parts are under the (GPL-incompatible) CDDL. The issue is further
26 since the work isn't from an single author (contributions licensed under
27 the GPL from others have been integrated) AND at least one party involved
28 believes the GPL and CDDL to be compatible.
29
30 That doesn't make cdrkit less real, but it does mean that you'll probably
31 have fewer issues using cdrtools. (I use cdrkit and have never had any
32 problems with it; YMMV.)
35 Boyd Stephen Smith Jr. ,= ,-_-. =.
36 bss03@××××××××××.net ((_/)o o(\_))
37 ICQ: 514984 YM/AIM: DaTwinkDaddy `-'(. .)`-'
38 http://iguanasuicide.org/ \_/