From: Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Cc: Paul Hartman <paul.hartman+gentoo@×××××.com>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Portage + checksums
Date: Tue, 06 Apr 2010 21:31:12
1 On Tuesday 06 April 2010 23:13:47 Paul Hartman wrote:
2 > On Tue, Apr 6, 2010 at 3:41 PM, Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com>
3 wrote:
4 > > On Tuesday 06 April 2010 20:56:30 Butterworth, John W. wrote:
5 > >> Thanks.
6 > >>
7 > >> Do you know if someone makes a change to a copy of apache hosted on a
8 > >> public mirror, will the sync between the servers determine that it's
9 > >> corrupted (via 'bad' checksum) on the public side and replace it?
10 > >
11 > > I can answer this, I run a public Gentoo mirror (not an official one)
12 > >
13 > > If I, or some clown, loads a trojaned copy of Apache source code into
14 > > my distfiles mirror, portage will complain bitterly because the hash in
15 > > the manifest will fail. Then you will know something is wrong.
16 > >
17 > > If I trojan the ebuild and the portage tree to match my trojaned sources,
18 > > you will probably not pick it up. This would be very risky indeed for me
19 > > to do as I can't be sure you will sync the tree and get your distfiles
20 > > from me.
21 >
22 > Isn't there something like FEATURES="gpg" to enable checking gpg
23 > signatures on ebuilds? (I haven't tried it so I don't know if this is
24 > actually used)
25
26 FEATURES=sign
27
28 "man 5 make.conf" implies that the dev signs the Manifest by checking
29 something into the tree using repoman. Presumably, the user either has to
30 fetch the public key or portage includes it in the tree. But documentation in
31 the man pages is sparse, I can't find an explanation of how it should work.
35 alan dot mckinnon at gmail dot com