From: Greg Morin <gpmorin@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Grub causing kernel panic? - ThinkPad T40 - new install
Date: Fri, 03 Nov 2006 15:41:52
1 Good day,
2
3 I've installed (several times) on a ThinkPad T-40, trying both manual kernel
4 config and genkernel. I followed the online manual explicitly (I think). The
5 machine is currently loaded with the manual config. Either way, the results
6 are similar.
7
8 Grub shows the two boot options, then begins loading the OS.
9
10 The machine begins to boot, starts loading modules, then kernel panics:
11 VFS:Cannot open root device "hda3" or unknown-block(0,0)
12 Please append a correct "root=" boot option
13 Kernel panic - not syncing: VFS: Unable to mount root fs on
14 unknown-block(0,0)
15
16 There is a single fixed disk:
17 Device Boot Size System Filesystem Mount
18 point
19 ======= ==== ===== ========= ========= =========
20 /dev/hda1 * 32M Linux ext2
21 /boot
22 /dev/hda2 3G Linux swap none none
23 /dev/hda3 ~71G Linux ext3 /
24
25 I am able to mount and use these partitions after booting from CD.
26 /etc/fstab (/mnt/gentoo/etc/fstab when booted from disk) looks good.
27
28 Filesystems ext2 and ext3 are compiled into the kernel.
29
30 Grub details:
31 device.map
32 (hd0) /dev/hda
33 grub.conf
34 default 0
35 timeout 5
36 splashimage=(hd0,0)/boot/grub/spash.xpm.gz
37
38 title=Gentoo Linux 2.6.17-r8
39 root (hd0,0)
40 kernel /boot/kernel-2.6.17-gentoo-r8 root=/dev/hda3
41
42 title=Gentoo Linux 2.6.17-r8 (rescue)
43 root(hd0,0)
44 kernel /boot/kernel-2.6.17-gentoo-r8 root=/dev/hda3 init=/bin/bb
45
46 I used grub-install /dev/hda with no errors. I've played around with the
47 "root=" entry, but to no avail - not sure I'm understanding this one...
48
49 The kernel image appears to be valid, with no typos in filename/grub
50 entries.
51
52 Any ideas? Seems that the kernel begins to load, but can't mount the root
53 filesystem?
54
55 Thank-you for any pointers.
59 Gpm