From: Peter Humphrey <peter@××××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Chrony-2.2 failing
Date: Fri, 27 Nov 2015 09:33:55
1 On Thursday 26 November 2015 10:39:56 I wrote:
2 > On Wednesday 25 November 2015 19:05:44 Alan McKinnon wrote:
3 > > On 24/11/2015 17:24, Peter Humphrey wrote:
4 > --->8
5 >
6 > > > The installation-default file causes the start-stop-daemon to catch an
7 > > > unexpected interrupt and report an error, even though the chronyd
8 > > > process
9 > > > continues to run.
10 > > >
11 > > > Any time I run 'strace -ff -o/tmp/chronyd.strace /etc/init.d/chronyd
12 > > > start' the init process runs normally and I'm left with scores of
13 > > > trace
14 > > > files, none of which help because the stray interrupt wasn't detected.
15 >
16 > --->8
17 >
18 > > Ugh, don't you just hate issues like that? The problem with "solutions"
19 > > like start-stop-daemon is they have to deal with whatever the daemon
20 > > feels like returning (an infinite number of permutations), so support
21 > > for daemon is never complete.
22 >
23 > I've been offered one suggestion which will need me to make a local
24 > overlay with a small code change. I'll try that and see what happens.
25
26 The problem turns out to have been caused by the init script specifying
27 --background to start-stop-daemon, which conflicts with chronyd's own
28 forking to the background - at least, it does on my Atom box so it could
29 elsewhere too.
30
31 Stand ready, bgo.
34 Rgds