From: Bob Wya <bob.mt.wya@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] {OT} offline backups
Date: Tue, 03 Mar 2015 18:30:39
1 I own a BluRay writer. A few years ago I had a serious attempt at BluRay
2 archival storage. It works - but it's slow (very slow) and expensive. Then
3 there is the cost / GB - that remains high due to the low volume of BD-RE
4 media sales...
5
6 Now factor in the super high volume of MLC NAND flash SSDs prevalent on
7 today's mass market. A good SSD will last far longer than the slowly
8 degrading dye on a BD-RE disc. Just dust off an Intel SSD every 5 years and
9 to run a level 2 Spinrite scan on it and it could potentially hold data for
10 decades... No optical media could match that...
11
12 All the best,
13 Robert