From: Steve <gentoo_sjh@×××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Strategy for using SAN/NAS for storage with Gentoo...
Date: Mon, 15 Mar 2010 13:21:24
1 I have recently started looking at server resilience and availability in
2 the context of a hardware failure or hardware upgrade. I've come to the
3 conclusion that it would be very desirable if terrabyte-scale data did
4 not need to be restored from backup. This isn't a commercial server -
5 so I'm interested in minimum cost approaches.
6
7 With this in mind, I'm interested to discover what represents
8 state-of-the-art from the perspective of the OS and its configuration.
9 Issues I envisage are:
10
11 * With NAS, it would be desirable to have a Linux filesystem rather than
12 access files over CIFS - this raises further questions about protocol...
13 is NFS as hopelessly outdated as it seems? Are there any products that
14 offer NFS access? Are any of them secure?
15 * With a SAN, questions of filesystem features are diminished - but
16 questions of access protocol remain. What is best supported by gentoo?
17 * Do any gentooists have any inexpensive hardware configurations that
18 work especially well?
19
20 Any hints or tips?