From: walt <w41ter@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: can't get accelerated opengl renderer ati radeon xpress 200M
Date: Wed, 07 Apr 2010 00:08:09
1 On 04/06/2010 01:12 PM, Tony Miller wrote:
2 > I've been trying for awhile now to get the accelerated opengl renderer
3 > working on my radeon xpress 200M card(which is supposedly an rv370 or
4 > rs4000 according to this wiki page:
5 > http://dri.freedesktop.org/wiki/ATIRadeon). I've been following this
6 > guide alot: http://dri.freedesktop.org/wiki/ATIRadeon
7 >
8 > I know it is important to change this string from glxinfo:
9 >
10 > OpenGL renderer string: Software Rasterizer
11 >
12 > to this:
13 >
14 > OpenGL renderer string: Mesa DRI R200 (RV280 5C61) 20090101
15 > x86/MMX+/3DNow!+/SSE TCL DRI2
16 >
17 > But I'm not sure how.
18
19 It can't hurt to try putting it the "Device" section of xorg.conf, maybe
20 something like this:
21
22 Option "OpenGL renderer" "Mesa DRI R200....."
23
24 Xorg may spit in your eye, but it can't hurt to try.
27 > This error in my xorg.log seems to be the key:
30 > drmOpenDevice: node name is /dev/dri/card0
31 > drmOpenDevice: open result is -1, (No such device)
32
33 By amazing coincidence, I just posted a similar problem to the xorg mail
34 list and got no replies. Maybe try some ATI lists instead?
35
36 Anyway, I finally got /dev/dri/card0 created at boot time by fiddling with
37 my kernel config a zillion times or two, and AFAICT there are two types of
38 changes that may (possibly) account for my success. I'm still not sure.
39
40 I finally got console framebuffer working by compiling support into the
41 kernel instead of as a module. In retrospect, the module obviously was
42 not being loaded at boot time when the card0 device should be created.
43
44 However, I also changed other kernel video/drm/fb support to compiled-in
45 instead of modules, so the console framebuffer thing may just be a red
46 herring. Try compiling all the video/dri/drm stuff into your kernel
47 instead of making them modules.
48
49 BTW, I added no udev support files for dri/card0, so that device is not
50 created by udev, apparently, but by the kernel directly.