From: Nikos Chantziaras <realnc@×××××.de>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: [extremly, wildly, obscenely OT] Is there a Linux system without GNU userlands?
Date: Sun, 10 Aug 2008 20:51:13
1 Grant Edwards wrote:
2 > On 2008-08-10, b.n. <brullonulla@×××××.com> wrote:
3 >> Hi,
4 >>
5 >> I ask it here because I really don't know where to ask it.
6 >>
7 >> Is there a Linux system somewhere with a *non-GNU* userland?
8 >
9 > What do you mean by "non-Gnu"?
10 >
11 > SW for which the FSF doesn't own the copyrights?
12 >
13 > SW which is distributed under something other than one of the
14 > Gnu Public Licenses?
15
16 Software that does not belong to the GNU project. The GNU project is a
17 fixed and well defined set of software.
20 > Are there even any BSD systems with 100% non-GNU userlands?
21
22 Probably not, but almost.
25 > The last time I did a basic FreeBSD install, it included Gnu
26 > user-land stuff (e.g. gcc).
27
28 Anything else besides GCC? I installed FreeBSD just for the kicks of
29 it, and I'm not sure there's anything GNU in there other than GCC, not sure.