From: Alexander Skwar <listen@×××××××××××××××.name>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] march in /etc/make.conf
Date: Thu, 06 Jul 2006 09:38:36
1 Pawel K wrote:
2 > Hello
3 >
4 > I've changed -march from pentrium4 to pentium3 and
5 > wanted to recompile everything.
6
7 What does this have to do with the "iptables wiki"? IOW: Please
8 do *NOT* capture threads! Do *NOT* reply to a message and change
9 the subject, when you want to start a new thread! Thanks.
10
11 > I've used the
12 > following command to do that:
13 >
14 > emerge --update --deep --newuse world
15 >
16 > but only about 50% packages have been recompiled.
17 >
18 > 1) How can I recompile all of them ?
19
20 That's because of the "--newuse" and "--update". If you want
21 to recompile everything, do "emerge --emptytree --deep world"
22
23 > I don't want to download new packages, I just want to
24 > recompile existing ones.
25
26 You might have to download packages; eg. if there were changes
27 without a revision change.
28
29 And if you don#t want new packages, then --update was wrong in
30 the first place.
31
32 > 2) Can I work on that machine during recompilation.
33
34 Generally speaking, yes, you can. Your system will be slower,
35 but that's of course to be expected, as it is busy.
36
37 > I
38 > mean what happens with binaries that are currently
39 > executed and need to be replaced with pentium3
40 > compiled version ?
41
42 They'll be replaced.
46 Alexander Skwar
47 --
48 The more laws and order are made prominent, the more thieves and
49 robbers there will be.
50 -- Lao Tsu
51 --
52 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list