From: Nikos Chantziaras <realnc@×××××.de>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: mplayer vs mplayer2
Date: Wed, 30 Mar 2011 18:21:38
1 On 03/30/2011 08:47 PM, du yang wrote:
2 > On Wednesday 03/30/11 17:14:00 CST, John Campbell wrote:
3 >> On 03/30/2011 01:35 AM, covici@××××××××××.com wrote:
4 >>
5 >>> I am not seeing mplayer2 in the tree -- unless it came in the last day
6 >>> or so -- and which config takes the threads=5 parameter?
7 >>
8 >> It's in the multimedia overlay.
9 >>
10 >> The "threads=#" (where # less than total threads available on processor)
11 >> parameter goes in the ~/.mplayer/config file. I've only got 4
12 >> processors so I set it to threads=4. You have an i7, so it should
13 >> handle more.
16 > I just tried it also.
17 > Some 720p videos were very slow to play with mplayer on my machine prviously, but
18 > now they are playing smoothly ;-)
19 > So mplayer2 show have some performance improvement.
20 >
21 > After switching to maplyer2, putting mplayer to package.provided seems to be able to avoid dependencies problem for smplayer and mplayer-plugin..
22
23 The version in portage removed multithreading support :-( The
24 maintainer doesn't want the bundled, multithreaded ffmpeg that comes
25 with mplayer2. That's a good thing in the long run, but I've no idea
26 why they rushed it. They could wait till the in-portage libav or ffmpeg
27 becomes multithreaded before they strip the bundled one.