From: Jon Hardcastle <jd_hardcastle@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Gentoo-Sources/Vanilla-Sources/Video 4 Linux
Date: Mon, 29 Sep 2008 11:06:48
1 --- On Mon, 29/9/08, Volker Armin Hemmann <volker.armin.hemmann@××××××××××××.de> wrote:
2
3 > From: Volker Armin Hemmann <volker.armin.hemmann@××××××××××××.de>
4 > Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Gentoo-Sources/Vanilla-Sources/Video 4 Linux
5 > To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
6 > Date: Monday, 29 September, 2008, 10:59 AM
7 > On Monday 29 September 2008, Jon Hardcastle wrote:
8 > > Hi, i have spent the weekend trying to get my new
9 > Hauppage USB tv stick to
10 > > work under linux.
11 > >
12 > > I have been constantly perplexed by references to
13 > compilable kernel modules
14 > > I couldn't see! I assumed it was because they
15 > referred to old modules or
16 > > something.
17 > >
18 > > But having downloaded and booted into Knoppix and run
19 > make menuconfig on
20 > > that i have confirmed that kernel seems to have
21 > 10's of TV card chipset
22 > > drivers availible to compile whereas
23 > gentoo-sources/vanilla-sources emerged
24 > > on my machine have maybe 2 or 3.
25 > >
26 > > Can someone offer me some assistance as to why this
27 > might be?
28 > >
29 > > Thank you
30 > >
31 > > (This is my first mailing list post - please be
32 > gentle!)
33 > >
34 > > -----------------------
35 > > N: Jon Hardcastle
36 > > E: Jon@×××××××××××.com
37 > > 'The writing is on the wall...'
38 > > -----------------------
39 >
40 > because a large part of the dvb/tv drivers are developed
41 > outside of the main
42 > kernel tree. Also a large part is hidden under
43 > experimental.
44 >
45 > For my dvb-t stick I need to checkout a mercurial rep and
46 > do a make, make
47 > install in it do get drivers that work. And with
48 > 'work' I mean: no sound on
49 > first try, but after disconnecting the stick and
50 > reconnecting it, it suddenly
51 > works.
52
53 Hi, I went thru this process but i still dont have the option to add support as a kernel module. Should the mercurial add steps to the menuconfig?