From: Mick <michaelkintzios@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Inkscape-0.48.1-r1 really sloooooow
Date: Sun, 22 May 2011 07:58:25
1 Thanks Michael,
2
3 On Sunday 22 May 2011 00:51:45 Michael Orlitzky wrote:
4 > On 05/20/2011 08:49 AM, Mick wrote:
5 > > Hi All,
6 > >
7 > > I installed inkscape-0.48.1-r1 on a x86 machine. For a few
8 > > seconds/minutes after opening an svg image rendering is fast as
9 > > expected, but soon it gets bogged down to the point of seeing the
10 > > image being rendered in slow motion, a row at a time if e.g. I scroll
11 > > up or down the page. Only 20% of RAM (of 3G total) is being used at
12 > > the time, so I'm guessing this could be something to do with the ATI
13 > > video card?
14 > >
15 > > Other graphics apps open at the same time (e.g. Gimp) do not have such
16 > > problems rendering graphics (albeit not svg).
17
18 > I don't suppose you have a ton of fonts installed? I've had Inkscape
19 > lock up for like 5 minutes at a time when it was loading the font list
20 > (either at startup or when opening the text dialog).
21
22 No, although I do have a few fonts and a couple extra in ~/.fonts, but the
23 application opens straight away. The image does not have fonts in it and it
24 opens reasonably fast. As soon the user zooms in or pan around the image then
25 the slow rendering starts.
26
27 I have now looked a bit more into this problem and it seems that inkscape is
28 slower in MSWindows (dual boot machine). So I concluded that this is an
29 inkscape issue, rather than Gentoo specific.
30
31 Also, googling around it seems that zooming in a lot (more than 1000%) or
32 using many filters (as this user is on the particular image) slows down
33 inkscape:
34
35 http://www.inkscapeforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=8721
36
37 As suggested in the thread above, a work around until the inkscape code is
38 improved is to change the View mode to 'No Filters'. This trick restores
39 rendering speed to reasonable levels.
40 --
41 Regards,
42 Mick