From: Liu Chuan <chuan.sam@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] difference between "/etc/init.d/script start" and runing in default run-level
Date: Sat, 27 Aug 2005 06:37:22
1 Sorry for the duplicate if you have seen the mail before.
2 I just want to make the question more specific.
3
4 After installing kde through "emerge kdebase-meta" and test with
5 "startx" of no problem, I add xdm to default run-level with modifying
6 display manager to kdm in "rc.conf". However when I reboot the
7 computer, the screen turn black for a second and then up without kdm
8 start. The log file only contain following info about kdm:
9
10 kdm[5526]: x server for display: 0 terminated unexpectedly
11 kdm[5526]: unknow session exit code 0 (sig 9) from manager process
12
13 "ps -ef" show kdm[5526] are still running.
14 However when I del xdm from default run-level or kill 5526 then type:
15 /etc/init.d/xdm start
16 the kdm just turn out to run smoothly.
17
18 Start with default xdm in rc.conf also had no problem.
19 It is so strange that there is no problem to start kdm after login
20 from command line, and only to fail at start-up in default run-level.
21
22 Any idea about the problem appreciated.
23 Actually I want to know what is the difference between running
24 "/etc/init.d/script start" and running from default level.
25
26 Thanks in advance.
29 Chuan
32 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list