From: lukash <lukkash@×××××.cz>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] MX Master mouse on bluetooth
Date: Sat, 12 Sep 2015 10:51:51
1 On Fri, 2015-09-04 at 13:42 -0400, Ian Savoy wrote:
2 > Hey all,
3 >
4 > I splurged on a new mx master mouse a few weeks ago, and it's been
5 > working
6 > fine using the unified receiver that is included with the mouse.
7 > However,
8 > it's not the only bluetooth device i have, and it would be nice not
9 > to have
10 > two easy-to-lose dongles stuck in my laptop at all times (not to
11 > mention
12 > 2/4 USB ports occupied).
13 >
14 > The problem I have is that I can pair the mouse with my bluetooth
15 > adapter
16 > just fine (BCM20702A0-19ff-0239), however, I don't get any output
17 > when i
18 > click and/or wiggle the mouse.
19 >
20 > I've seen in other forums, people getting this mouse to work with
21 > bluetooth
22 > on ubuntu and fedora. Claims that it works out of the box over
23 > bluetooth.
24 >
25 > I'm curious if any gentoo users have been able to successfully use
26 > this
27 > device over a bluetooth adapter, and if so, what bluetooth adapter
28 > you're
29 > using, what kernel you're running, what modules are loaded, and if
30 > there
31 > were any tweaks you had to make after pairing your mouse to get it to
32 > work
33 > properly.
34 >
35 > -everything- works when i use the unified reciever, even the weird
36 > thumb
37 > button and horizontal scrolling. Nothing works, other than pairing
38 > and
39 > connecting/disconnecting, over bluetooth.
40 >
41 > Thanks in advance!
42 >
43 > --
44 > Ian Savoy
45 > LoTeK Systems
46
47 Hi Ian,
48
49 I have the MX Anywhere 2 mouse working over bluetooth flawlessly. I
50 believe they use the exact same Bluetooth hardware. However, it took me
51 quite a lot of time to get it to work. What follows may not be a
52 complete list of things to check :)
53
54 The mouse doesn't work with >bluez-5.25 and <bluez-5.34. IOW, I had to
55 mask 5.32 and 5.33 with which it didn't work and use 5.25. Recently
56 5.34 appeared in portage and it works. With the broken version there
57 would be an error message in syslog. You can get more error messages in
58 syslog though and some of them don't matter for using the mouse.
59
60 I didn't have the UHID config option (IIRC, I hope it was this one) in
61 my kernel. Again, there was an error message in syslog that was not
62 very clear to me, mixed with a few other error messages.
63
64 I've been fighting a bit with the ucode for my BT adapter to be loaded,
65 it seemed the pairing would work even without it but the mouse wouldn't
66 work.
67
68 My kernel is 4.0.5-gentoo and my bluetooth is Intel Wireless Bluetooth
69 7260. I compile everything into the kernel, so I can't tell you the
70 modules.
71
72 If you don't get it to work after checking the above, try posting the
73 relevant messages from your syslog.
74
75 cheers,
76 Lukas
77
78 PS: For completeness, I had to disable USB power management for the
79 bluetooth adapter, otherwise I'd get a delay before the mouse would
80 work again after not using it for more than ~10 seconds.