From: Philip Webb <purslow@××××××××.net>
To: Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com>
Cc: Gentoo User <gentoo-user@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] who needs Java ?
Date: Mon, 15 Aug 2011 14:06:49
1 110815 Alan McKinnon wrote:
2 > I removed Java from my USE for LO + gnome and gtk too
3 > and have not yet seen any ill-effects.
4 > The last time I read a definitive statement on Java for OOo
5 > was early in the 2.0 series,
6 > when it mentioned database connectivity as the prime thing that used it,
7 > as in Base, the Access-like db front-end thingy
8
9 yes, i recall reading that Java was necessary to use OO's database.
10 however, i have no use for that in the foreseeable future.
11
12 does anyone else know whether Java is needed for LO's database stuff ?
13
14 so far, it looks as if i shd remove the USE flag,
15 recompile the relevant pkgs & see what happens when i try using them.
16
17 further comments still very welcome & thanks for those so far.
21 SUPPORT ___________//___, Philip Webb
22 ELECTRIC /] [] [] [] [] []| Cities Centre, University of Toronto
23 TRANSIT `-O----------O---' purslowatchassdotutorontodotca