From: Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Sound jack isolations
Date: Tue, 29 Jan 2008 21:59:40
1 On Tuesday 29 January 2008, Marzan, Richard non Unisys wrote:
2 > I tried googling around but no helpful content so far. I have a
3 > laptop with built-in sound. It uses the HDA_intel kernel module. My
4 > problem is that I can't silence the onboard/built-in speakers when I
5 > plug in the headphones to the machine. Muting sound would lead to all
6 > jacks and audio ports to be silenced -- not just the built-in
7 > speakers, which I intend to mute solely leaving sound alive on the
8 > headphone jacks. There are no channels readily observable to
9 > differentiate where sound goes and to which port with alsa-mixer. The
10 > behavior I would like to achieve is one that will allow me to mute
11 > onboard speakers while continuing to have the headphones receive
12 > audio signals. Has anyone ever done this? Any pointers to
13 > documentation will be appreciated.
14
15 Is it a Dell with an ICH8 chipset? This is a well known bug and is fixed
16 in alsa-1.0.15. I have this same problem on my Dell D830 which runs
17 Gentoo and Ubuntu.
18
19 On Ubuntu I use a backported kernel and
20 'options snd-hda-intel model=dell-m42' in /etc/modprobe.d/alsa-base
21 --
22 Alan McKinnon
23 alan dot mckinnon at gmail dot com
24 --