From: Peter Humphrey <peter@××××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] WARNING: Do not update your system on ~amd64
Date: Fri, 19 Jun 2020 09:56:01
1 On Wednesday, 17 June 2020 10:38:54 BST Neil Bothwick wrote:
2 > On Wed, 17 Jun 2020 11:03:00 +0200, Andreas Fink wrote:
3 > > > > Thanks for the heads up. To play safe, I emerge passwdqc before
4 > > > > emerging @world. It actually emerge without complaint on the three
5 > > > > systems I tried. I also made sure I could SSH in after updating PAM
6 > > > > before terminating the existing session.
7 > > >
8 > > > MAKEOPTS="-j1" emerge -1 passwdqc worked here. Sys-libs/pam had
9 > > > already installed by the time passwdqc failed the first time.
10 > > > Sys-auth/pam is not in my update list, but sys-auth/pambase is, and
11 > > > has installed without protest.
12 > >
13 > > Either USE="-passwdqc" for pambase or MAKEOPTS="-j1" for passwdqc works
14 > > consistently for me too. I think you just need to make sure that
15 > > pam+pambase are both updated before logging out ;)
16 > > One system that I had to rescue from a live system + chroot :(
17 >
18 > Interestingly, I've now emerged passwordqc successfully on four systems,
19 > with MAKEOPTS ranging from -j2 to j8. Only the 4th failed, and that
20 > worked when I went from -j4 to -j3. This appears to be a bit of a
21 > borderline case, which may explain why it slipped through.
22
23 And today, pam and pambase are restored to their earlier versions because sddm
24 requires them. But sddm has not changed versions, so why did portage want to
25 upgrade pam and pambase on Wednesday?
28 Regards,
29 Peter.