From: Paul Hartman <paul.hartman+gentoo@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Microcode update AMD
Date: Tue, 18 Jan 2011 21:05:19
1 On Tue, Jan 18, 2011 at 12:21 PM, Mark Knecht <markknecht@×××××.com> wrote:
2 > On Tue, Jan 18, 2011 at 9:55 AM, Paul Hartman
3 > <paul.hartman+gentoo@×××××.com> wrote:
4 >> On Tue, Jan 18, 2011 at 11:34 AM, Mark Knecht <markknecht@×××××.com> wrote:
5 >>> OK, I got it to load by hand:
6 >>>
7 >>> 1) emerge microcode-ctl
8 >>>
9 >>> which also emerges microcode-data. Unfortunately microcode-data looks
10 >>> to be out of date.
11 >>
12 >> The ebuild for newer versions (including the latest 20101123) is in
13 >> portage as ~amd64 and ~x86.
17 > Thanks Paul.
18 >
19 > Also, it does seem to work, for Intel anyway, as a module or built
20 > into the kernel. I chose to build it in as I'm tired of how long lsmod
21 > is looking these days.
22
23 If you use the /etc/init.d/microcode_ctl runscript and have
24 MICROCODE_UNLOAD="yes" set in /etc/conf.d/microcode_ctl (which is the
25 default), it will unload the module automatically after it runs, so
26 you shouldn't see it in lsmod anyway, and saves a few kb of memory.
27 But, quite honestly, 8kb of memory is probably inconsequential on a
28 system where microcode_ctl is being used in the first place... :)