From: Grant Edwards <grant.b.edwards@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: Does root=PARTUUID=<> work with DOS partition table?
Date: Thu, 25 Jul 2019 15:25:25
1 On 2019-07-25, Grant Edwards <grant.b.edwards@×××××.com> wrote:
2
3 > All the examples I can find of people using root=PARTUUID=<> show the
4 > longer PARTUUID values you get with a GPT parition table. Does the
5 > root=PARTUUID=<> mechanism only work with GPT and not with DOS
6 > parition tables?
7
8 The comments in the kernel source certinaly indicate that DOS PARTUUID
9 values should work. From init/do_mounts.c:
10
11 /*
12 * Convert a name into device number. We accept the following variants:
13 [...]
14 * 6) PARTUUID=00112233-4455-6677-8899-AABBCCDDEEFF representing the
15 * unique id of a partition if the partition table provides it.
16 * The UUID may be either an EFI/GPT UUID, or refer to an MSDOS
17 * partition using the format SSSSSSSS-PP, where SSSSSSSS is a zero-
18 * filled hex representation of the 32-bit "NT disk signature", and PP
19 * is a zero-filled hex representation of the 1-based partition number.
20 [...]
21
22 I've also tried just passing root=/dev/sdb1 (which in the current
23 setup is consistently the device the root partition shows up on).
24 That doesn't work either and I'm begining to suspect that the kernel
25 simply isn't recognizing the USB storage device at all.
26
27 I wish I could figure out how to get scrollback to work so I could see
28 all of the kernel messages before the panic...
31 Grant Edwards grant.b.edwards Yow! I think my career
32 at is ruined!
33 gmail.com