From: Grant Taylor <gtaylor@×××××××××××××××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Any way to automate login to host and su to root?
Date: Thu, 14 Jul 2022 17:01:11
1 On 7/14/22 9:56 AM, Neil Bothwick wrote:
2 > That is true, but it is also true about the current setup as that
3 > also gives root access. I get the impression that Joost is looking
4 > for a more convenient approach that does not reduce security, which
5 > is true here...
6
7 I'm all for being /more/ secure, especially when doing so can be made to
8 appear to be /simpler/ for the end user.
9
10 I think the quintessential example of this is authenticating to sudo
11 with SSH keys via SSH agent forwarding. It eliminates the password
12 prompt or the NOPASSWD: option. Either way, you have better security
13 posture (always authenticated) and / or users have a better experience
14 (no password prompt).
15
16 > Well, almost true.
17
18 Please elaborate.
19
20 I consider it fairly difficult for non-root users to get a copy of the
21 /etc/shadow file on most systems. Conversely, SSH private key files
22 tend to ... leak / be forgotten.
27 Grant. . . .
28 unix || die