From: Joseph <syscon780@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] ext4 inode limit reached
Date: Mon, 12 Dec 2011 14:30:46
1 On 12/12/11 12:15, Daniel Troeder wrote:
2 >Hello :)
3 >
4 >I have an ext4-filesystem that contains /usr/src, the /usr/portage and
5 >/var/cache/edb. It previously also contained /var/db/pkg, but I had to
6 >move that some weeks ago, because the fs was "full". Now it's "full"
7 >again, though it has free blocks. But no inodes are left:
8 >
9 >$ fsck -vf /dev/sda5
10 >[..]
11 > 655360 inodes used (100.00%)
12 >[..]
13 >
14 >$ find /gentoo -xdev | wc -l
15 >655338
16 >
17 >That's really disappointing. I was using reiser3fs and XFS before, and
18 >they didn't have that kind of limitation... Uhm... not meant as a rant -
19 >I like ext4 - that's why I'm moving (almost?) everything to it...
20 >
21 >Is there any way to raise the number of inodes without using
22 >$ mkfs.ext4 -N BIGNUM
23 >
24 >Thank you,
25 >Daniel
26
27 That is scary. I just install new HD with 2TB capacity and ext4 that is 2% full and:
28 $ find /home/joseph/ -xdev | wc -l
29 shows: 169977 that is 26% full.
30
31 So will run out of inodes before I run out of hard disk space :-/ that is not good.
32 If other filesystems don't have these kind of limitation I'll be switching.
35 Joseph