From: Iain Buchanan <iaindb@××××××××××××.au>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] {OT} New CPU for my motherboard
Date: Thu, 07 Sep 2006 06:10:56
1 On Wed, 2006-09-06 at 20:54 -0700, Grant wrote:
2 > I've got a Celeron 700 Dell desktop and I'd like to upgrade the CPU if
3 > I can. What type of CPU should I look for? How can I tell what will
4 > be compatible?
5
6 from memory that would be either a slot 1 or socket 370. The slot 1
7 looks like a rectangular riser board, with the CPU soldered on it.
8 Quite often they had a heat-sink (usually a big one) and no fan.
9
10 The socket 370 is a square CPU that usually just plugs onto the
11 motherboard as usual.
12
13 Either way, you probably want to go for a Pentium III. Unfortunately,
14 Dell do their best to make sure you can't update your hardware with
15 standard non-Dell parts :o, and since I've only ever done this to a
16 non-Dell PC, YMMV!
17
18 There is a small chance it's a Pentium-4 based Celeron, but I think they
19 started at the mid 1.x GHz - someone else can correct me here.
20
21 The Celeron 700 was a 66MHz FSB, at a 10.5 multiplier[1], so if your
22 board can do 133MHz, I think you can get a 1.3GHz PIII... not sure.
23 Depending on your board, frequency multiplier, etc, it may only take up
24 to a 933MHz CPU, or if it supports Tualatin it may go above 1 GHz (but
25 not by all that much). More info needed here - look in your bios or
26 provide us with the dell model number.
27
28 Given that it's an older board, I'd go for the fastest CPU you can get,
29 which is hopefully a Pentium III 133MHz FSB. Given that the Pentium III
30 600 outperformed the Celeron 700[2], I'd say a nice PIII 933 would make
31 a marked improvement!!
32
33 If it doesn't support Tualatin, you can get a used working 933/133
34 Socket 370 for about AU$25 off ebay.
35
36 You can get a used working Slot 1, PIII 933/133 for about AU$35
37 depending on availability at the time.
38
39 I don't know the Tualatin prices, because I never looked for one! (my
40 old boards don't support it)...
41
42 Anyway, you will have to go to ebay or something like that, cause I
43 don't know if anyone stocks them, unless you find a good 2nd hand
44 computer store.
45
46 > Also, how can I tell what kind of memory would be compatible?
47
48 again, more info needed. Have a look in your bios and see what it says
49 about your memory. If it was a desktop Dell, it's probably standard
50 SDRAM, 100 or 133 MHz. Don't know if you can buy this stuff new anymore
51 - may have to go to ebay again.
52
53 [1] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Intel_Celeron_microprocessors
54 [2] http://www.anandtech.com/showdoc.html?i=1264&p=6
55
56 HTH, and is accurate!
60 It's always darkest just before the lights go out.
61 -- Alex Clark
64 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list