From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Backup questions
Date: Fri, 17 Aug 2018 05:56:10
1 Marc Joliet wrote:
2 > Am Freitag, 10. August 2018, 04:46:17 CEST schrieb Dale:
3 >> Wols Lists wrote:
4 >>> On 08/08/18 04:43, Dale wrote:
5 >>>> Howdy,
6 >>>>
7 >>>> I just bought two external drive enclosures. One is sort of a spare but
8 >>>> I do plan to do some backups on it, mostly pictures from my camera. In
9 >>>> one of the enclosures I put a single 6TB drive that I found on ebay. It
10 >>>> has about 7,000 hours on it so it should have some life left yet and it
11 >>>> passed the smartctl tests. It is USB but it transfers fast. Now to
12 >>>> some questions. I use rsync. Command looks something like rsync -auv
13 >>>> /source/ /destination/. If I backup the config files in my home
14 >>>> directory, should I also include the --delete option? If after a
15 >>>> upgrade for example a config file is deleted, because it is no longer
16 >>>> needed, or renamed, should the old file be removed or is there a reason
17 >>>> to keep them on the backups? Adding the --delete option isn't a problem
18 >>>> command wise BUT I wonder if it can cause a problem at some point.
19 >>>> Thoughts on that. I plan to use the --delete option for videos since if
20 >>>> I deleted one, it is likely broken or something. Biggest question is
21 >>>> about config files.
22 >>> May I suggest using btrfs for your backup drive? One MAJOR caveat - DO
23 >>> NOT let the drive fill up - a combination of snapshots and drive-full
24 >>> has been known (quite often) to trash the file system. But provided you
25 >>> make sure it doesn't go above about 80% you should be fine.
26 >>>
27 >>> You can add an option to rsync such that it will back up "in place". In
28 >>> other words, if only 1K is changed in a 1M file, it will overwrite that
29 >>> 1K. So when you back up, the procedure is to take a snapshot, then run
30 >>> rsync with both "in place" and "delete".
31 >>>
32 >>> This will give you the space economy of incremental backups, combined
33 >>> with the utility of full backups - each snapshot is a full backup as of
34 >>> that date, but each new snapshot only increases disk usage by the
35 >>> changes since the last. And you reclaim space by deleting old snapshots.
36 >> I did think about btrfs. I've read a lot of threads on here about
37 >> people using it and it seems to have come a long ways and be pretty
38 >> stable. Right now, I've got a lot going on and really don't have the
39 >> time to sit down and read up on it and how it works or what all it can
40 >> do. In all honesty, if my system were to crash later when I don't have
41 >> so much going on, I'd like to move to btrfs for as much as possible of
42 >> my system.
43 > Yeah, it's a good idea to wait until you have time :) . And then migrate
44 > piecemeal, not all at once. Following up on Wol's suggestion, I would start
45 > with the backup drive, since you can exploit most of the features there (well,
46 > snapshots and compression, at least). Personally, I've had mostly good
47 > experience with btrfs and enjoy its send/receive feature for full-system
48 > incremental backups.
49 >
50 >> I suspect /boot would still have to be ext2 or something
51 >> because of grub.
52 > GRUB actually supports btrfs. However, on a UEFI system you will need a FAT32
53 > file system for /boot, so I would argue that on a relatively recent system the
54 > issue is moot.
58 Yea, time is even more limited now.  My Mom is still in the hospital
59 about a hour away.  I'm not supposed to visit people there, and other
60 places where a lot of sick people can be, but it's my Mom.  I went
61 twice.  The morning after the second visit, I was at the Doctors
62 office.  Now I'm sick.  Luckily, the meds are working.  Thing is, I
63 don't feel like messing with computer stuff right now.  Even cooking a
64 meal is not so interesting.  I can't taste or smell anyway.  So, it may
65 be a while before I get the time to deal with any of this.  I would
66 likely not learn anything about a new file system even if I read it more
67 than once.  I'm even avoiding updates just to prevent anything from
68 going sideways.  I wonder, how many times will I proof and edit this
69 email????
70
71 I thought I read Grub, the new version, supported more file systems.
72 Still, just for safety, I'd likely still use ext2.  There's a lot of new
73 stuff out there.  Just tons of options.
74
75 Thanks.
76
77 Dale