From: Mark Knecht <markknecht@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] --depclean and python needed by scribus.
Date: Wed, 09 Sep 2009 12:34:28
1 On Wed, Sep 9, 2009 at 4:43 AM, Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com> wrote:
2 > Hi folks,
3 >
4 > Can someone tell me what this means?
5 >
6 > root@smoker / # emerge -p --depclean
7 >
8 >  * Always study the list of packages to be cleaned for any obvious
9 >  * mistakes. Packages that are part of the world set will always
10 >  * be kept.  They can be manually added to this set with
11 >  * `emerge --noreplace <atom>`.  Packages that are listed in
12 >  * package.provided (see portage(5)) will be removed by
13 >  * depclean, even if they are part of the world set.
14 >  *
15 >  * As a safety measure, depclean will not remove any packages
16 >  * unless *all* required dependencies have been resolved.  As a
17 >  * consequence, it is often necessary to run `emerge --update
18 >  * --newuse --deep @system @world` prior to depclean.
19 >
20 > Calculating dependencies... done!
21 >>>> Checking for lib consumers...
22 >>>> Assigning files to packages...
23 >  * In order to avoid breakage of link level dependencies, one or more
24 >  * packages will not be removed. This can be solved by rebuilding the
25 >  * packages that pulled them in.
26 >  *
27 >  *   dev-lang/python-2.5.4-r3 pulled in by:
28 >  *     app-office/scribus-1.3.3.11
29 >  *
30 >>>> Adding lib providers to graph...
31 >  \
32 > Calculating dependencies... done!
35 > I have re-compiled scribus about three times now.  I have also ran
36 > python-updater a few times and it just keeps rebuilding scribus and
37 > boost in a endless loop.  What am I missing here?
38 >
39 > Thanks.
40 >
41 > Dale
42 >
47 Possibly scribus isn't compatible with python-2.6? The few times I've
48 run into this with depclean I've removed the app (scribus in this
49 case) cleaned up the machine with depclean and revdep-rebuild, and
50 then reinstalled the app from scratch. If it tries to pull in
51 phython-2.5 then you just have to make a choice whether you want it or
52 not. (Or look for a mased ebuild, etc.
53
54 - Mark