From: Wols Lists <antlists@××××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Setting up fetchmail to feed postfix
Date: Fri, 24 Nov 2017 16:09:04
1 On 24/11/17 15:39, Peter Humphrey wrote:
2 > Is there any guidance on setting up fetchmail on Gentoo to operate in this
3 > way? I've searched in likely places but the Gentoo docs are long out of date
4 > and others don't help much, so I still don't know what to add to /etc/
5 > conf.d/fetchmail, nor whether I need a ~/.fetchmailrc or an /etc/fetchmailrc
6 > file (no sample comes with the ebuild).
7
8 If you run fetchmail as a daemon, then you need /etc/fetchmailrc. If you
9 run it manually yourself, then you need ~/.fetchmailrc
10
11 Read the docu, in particular the bit about whether or not to delete
12 mails from the server. Set it to NOT delete mails, then you can test it
13 knowing that you won't lose anything.
14
15 I believe it keeps a log file of what it's downloaded, so for testing
16 purposes you may want to find and delete that.
17
18 And if you run it with the --verbose option, it'll tell you what it's
19 doing. I generally pipe that through the "tee" command, so I can see
20 whether it's doing what I expect, then I can examine the output in more
21 detail to check.
22
23 Beyond that, I would say you're doing a right thing. fetchmail is good
24 software. The only reason I'm not using it is MySQL broke, which took
25 out my virtual usernames, which broke postfix and fetchmail delivery :-(
26 And I've never got round to fixing MySQL.
27
28 Cheers,
29 Wol