From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] No sound. Please, help!
Date: Mon, 19 Oct 2020 15:12:51
1 gevisz wrote:
2 > пн, 19 окт. 2020 г. в 02:18, Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>:
3 >> On the modules or in kernel, I compile all mine in the kernel. The only
4 >> modules I have is my nvidia video drivers. There's pro's and con's to
5 >> each so whatever works and you like.
6 > I actually asked a question not about the choice between "in kernel"
7 > or "as a module" but about "to build or not to build" at all. :)
8 >
9 > So, once more: Is it better to compile the driver for my HDMI audio
10 > device or not, if I am not going to use HDMI audio output?
13 Ahh.  Well, if you build it and then need it later, it's already there.
14 If you don't and then need it later, you have to go back and build it
15 and may be in a hurry.  I tend to get all hardware working even if I'm
16 not using it at the time.  Of course, you could plan to do that when you
17 update your next kernel and it's just a little more to do but you will
18 be doing most of it anyway since you're updating.  It's a thought.
21 >> Glad it's working now. I need a shower. I been cutting down trees and
22 >> dragging them to a pile to rot or burn. I'm tired, I stink which
23 >> requires a shower and I'm hungry. Cutting and getting rid of a 24 inch
24 >> across tree isn't easy when you have a 20 inch bar on the chainsaw. :/
25 > Thank you once more. And you should not rush to answer: my initial
26 > intention was to finally solve this problem till the end of this
27 > month, and now it is solved during only one weekend. :)
32 Well, when on this mailing list, you will get ideas pretty fast.  Given
33 that you had things working but not making noise, my first thought was
34 the mute.  I ran into that a couple times myself in the past.  One would
35 think it would default to a low level but something you can hear.  I
36 guess tho they think you should be forced to adjust the mixers and other
37 sound control settings so that you can enable/leave disabled to your
38 liking.  It's 6 of one or half a dozen of the other I guess.  ;-)
39
40 Back to cutting trees.  Got my insect spray on today tho.  Things sound
41 like large helicopters flying around out there.  O-o
42
43 Dale
44