From: Mick <michaelkintzios@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] why you've chosen your desktop environment? (no war !)
Date: Sun, 17 Aug 2014 16:19:49
1 On Sunday 17 Aug 2014 15:56:05 Alan McKinnon wrote:
2 > On 17/08/2014 15:28, Rich Freeman wrote:
3
4 > > 6. That dolphin mode that gives you a shell that follows the pwd.
5 > > That is just nifty.
6 >
7 > #6 - it does? How do I activate that? Might be useful, I didn't even
8 > know there was such a fature
9
10 I use Konqueror (with the dolphin plugin) and F4 opens konsole in a separate
11 window, or Settings/Show Terminal Emulator shows a terminal in the bottom 5th
12 of Konqueror. My Dolphin doesn't offer the same, probably because I have only
13 installed selected apps and a few meta packages, not the whole enchilada.
16 > > Things I dislike:
17 > > 1. I disable nepomuk and its offspring.
18 >
19 > nepomuk (and akanodi) and a bit of a personal embarrassment for me. In
20 > the beginning I advocated they were a good idea; and I still believe the
21 > idea is good for the average desktop in this brave new world. But the
22 > implementation - that often outweighs the idea. Nepomuk not so much
23 > (that one is pretty efficient) but definitely akonadi (that one sucks eggs)
24
25 They are a good idea if you want to be able to index and search the whole of
26 your PC for anything metatagged with "foo" and don't value the cost of
27 electricity. The chances of me wanting to do this on my personal laptop are
28 exceedingly rare, although once dementia sets in it could prove useful. :p
29
30 For me this plus the shift from KDEPIM 3 to 4 was criminal destruction of
31 value. I live in hope that one day KDE will take a hard long look at itself
32 and go back to KDE 3 architecture; or that nepomuk, akonadi, redland, mysql
33 and what-ever-else they have added can be switched off selectively without
34 breaking the ability to search your address book and send an email; or that
35 all this additional functionality will be so wonderfully streamlined that I
36 will never ever know it is there. Given it's been 4 or 5 years now since this
37 disaster happened I am not holding my breath. :-(
40 > > Things I think might be improveable:
41 > > 1. The way it handles window grouping. I dislike a bazillion tabs,
42 > > but I don't like the way it does grouping all that much either. Maybe
43 > > I need to better grok activities/etc.
44 >
45 > Heh heh:-) I have that problem too. I forced myself to close tabs
46 > ruthlessly and rely on history. I now try and keep open only tabs I am
47 > using, not also tabs I might use again.
48 >
49 > Activities looks like a good idea, but I can't get them to work and feel
50 > right. Perhaps I should define what my activities actually mean to me
51 > better, this is far from simple.
52
53 I was meant to look into activities, so that I can explain it to some KDE
54 users who also don't know what this is. I vaguely recall understanding the
55 concept in the past, but never tried it out. Can you please explain in simple
56 terms what it is and how it is meant to be used?
59 > For pure engineering excellence it's hard to beat e19 and efl. However,
60 > raster and his team still have no qualms with ripping chunks of good out
61 > and replacing them on a whim, so perhaps not the most stable environment
62 > out there :-)
63
64 If you stay with testing versions already in portage, things are not as bad.
65 I'm on enlightenment-0.17/0.18.8 and efl-1.9.5 and it's been quite stable.
66 Last time I tried to emerge efl-1.10.1 it failed, so I am waiting for
67 maintainers to catch up with the latest before I try again.
68
69 BTW, since enlightenment trunk moved to git, I am not sure my enlightenment
70 overlay syncs properly, because it doesn't bring up any message to inform me
71 which packages have changed. Should I change something in layman to increase
72 verbosity of git sync's?
73 --
74 Regards,
75 Mick