From: Michael Orlitzky <michael@××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] {OT} Incorporating openvpn in backup scheme
Date: Wed, 26 Jun 2013 05:52:22
1 On 06/25/13 03:06, J. Roeleveld wrote:
2 > On Tue, June 25, 2013 09:02, Grant wrote:
3 >> I have several remote systems all pushing backups to my local laptop
4 >> via rdiff-backup. Sometimes when on the road I find myself behind a
5 >> router and the remote systems are unable to push. Is openvpn the
6 >> right solution here? Should I run a separate openvpn server on each
7 >> system to be backed up with my laptop as the client?
8 >
9 > If you can configure the router to forward the port used by the OpenVPN
10 > server to your laptop, you can run the server on your laptop.
11 >
12 > But, as is more likely, when you can not configure the router, running an
13 > OpenVPN server on (at least one) remote system and having your laptop
14 > connect to that, you can have the other systems push to your laptop over
15 > the VPN-link.
16 > Either directly (by establishing multiple VPN-links from your laptop (one
17 > to each server) or via one of the remote systems.
20 Many hotels, airports, universities, etc. will also block everything
21 except TCP port 80/443 outgoing. I suggest running OpenVPN on tcp/443.