From: covici@××××××××××.com
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Only 4 of 8 GB usable
Date: Thu, 22 May 2014 08:03:03
1 Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com> wrote:
2
3 > wraeth wrote:
6 > > On 22/05/14 07:37, Alex Schuster wrote:
7 > > > Does this ring any bells? I'm out of ideas. Except than pulling out
8 > the 4
9 > > > GB, or trying another mainboard.
10 > >
11 > > Just a quick suggestion to help rule it out: try booting a LiveCD or other
12 > > "one-size-fits-most" medium and seeing if your full memory is registering
13 > > there. If it is, then it's not a hardware malfunction; if it doesn't, then
14 > > either you've got bad hardware or a configuration issue in your BIOS.
15 > >
16 > > cheers
17 > > wraeth
20 > Isn't there a kernel setting that cuts off after 4GBs or something? I
21 > seem to recall having to turn that on at some point. I would think this
22 > would be on by default but . . . .
23
24 Make sure you are really running a 64-bit kernel! Sure seems like you
25 are not to me, but there may be other things.
29 Your life is like a penny. You're going to lose it. The question is:
30 How do
31 you spend it?
32
33 John Covici