From: "Jc García" <jyo.garcia@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] a question about emerge --sync
Date: Fri, 01 Aug 2014 15:03:32
1 2014-08-01 8:30 GMT-06:00 behrouz khosravi <bz.khosravi@×××××.com>:
2 > Hello everybody.
3 > I have a little bandwidth problem. I don't want to update my packages
4 > very frequently.
5 > Is it save to sync my portage not very often, say every month or two,
6 > so when I install something I wont be warned that some of my packages
7 > are outdated?
8 If you plan to update monthly you might want to use emerge-webrsync,
9 and download portage snapshots as a tarball, it isn't that large
10 ~70MiB, and if you get the chance of acces a better connection, you
11 can download it from the web[1] and just unpack it to your
12 ${PORTDIR}, this is one of the good things about portage, and source
13 based compared to binary distros, you download a snapshot, upgrade
14 your packages, and you can keep installing packages from the ebuilds
15 in that snapshot without trouble for some time(if sources are
16 available), I know someone, a bit insane in my opinion, that was
17 still using a 2009 snapshot of portage as of the last year(not without
18 troubles), and he might still.
19 > In this manner I wont need to mask my packages, to prevent them from
20 > updating, right ?
21 >
22 > Thanks.