From: maxim wexler <blissfix@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] He's baaaaaack!
Date: Mon, 25 Jul 2005 05:47:17
2 > there were no succesful winxp boot, because bios
3 > didnt enable LBA seting. i
4 > dont think (win95)fdisk wil work with linux
5 > partitions.
6
7 Right, but booting a win95/98 CD and running fdisk
8 /mbr from the DOS prompt will usually restore a WinXP
9 boot sector. What's so bizarre in this case is that it
10 should only partially restore(so it seems)
11 bootability. Can you or anyone explain what this
12 16/255 controversy has to do with it? True, LBA is
13 'off', but WinXP starts at the beginning of /dev/hdb
14 and *doesn't* boot, whereas gentoo starts at the 60G
15 point and it *does* boot. Also FWIW all WinXP files
16 are readable from gentoo once it's up.
17
18 Even when I eliminate the first drive, the 200M drive
19 where grub resides, and install the 120G HD as
20 pri-master and try to boot, boot.ini opens up giving
21 me the choices of WinXP and Recovery Console as I said
22 before; only problem: neither goes anywhere, just
23 hangs.
24
25 -mw
26
28 Do You Yahoo!?
29 Tired of spam? Yahoo! Mail has the best spam protection around
30 http://mail.yahoo.com
31 --
32 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list